During its January Board meeting, the Cal South Board of Directors adopted a minimum age policy and requirements associated with competitive play for leagues, clubs, and teams as outlined below. The policy is applicable to competition, and the forming of teams for the purpose of competition, in preparation for and beginning with the 2018-19 playing season. This includes all activities associated with recruiting, forming, rostering, and/or tryouts process of players for the sake of creating or establishing teams in preparation for the 2018-19 playing season.
This policy is consistent with the United States Soccer Federation’s (USSF) Player Development Initiatives for participating player’s in the youngest age groups, and supports the Federations reduced emphasis on competitive play during the early stages of development.
The policy defines an age floor of eight years (8) old in which players cannot be classified as Competitive players. The official policy document may be located on the Cal South website at: [insert web link]
Minimum Age for Competitive Players Policy:
Class I: Open to domestic youth teams affiliated with USSF and international teams affiliated with FIFA.*
Class II: Open to domestic youth teams affiliated with USSF.
Tournament Sanctioning Policy:
This policy is applicable to Tournament sanctioning in addition to league play. Competitive Tournaments shall not allow or authorize competitive play, competition, age groups and/or flights for teams classified younger than eight (8) years old. U8 or 8U age groups are not authorized or allowed in a competitive environment.
Effective Date: This policy is effective January 2017. Compliance is compulsory and required for the 2018-19 playing season, which includes all preseason processes associated with tryouts, forming, and/or rostering of players to teams in preparation for the season, regardless of when they occur. Waivers to the requirements set forth in this policy shall not be considered.
Access to the Cal South Registration System is dependent upon meeting all Affiliate Member Application requirements. The sanctioning requirements for Youth, Adult and prospective new affiliate members have different requirements, as noted in the new application process.
To understand these new requirements, or to learn more about the affiliate application process, please click here and follow the appropriate links detailing your interest, or refer to the requirements noted on this communique for a quick reference.
The Cal South Affiliate Member Application for the 2017-18 season is live online and can be accessed by clicking here.
Have the following documents digitized, and/or scanned and ready to be uploaded:
Returning Member Sanctioning (Renewals):
New Member Sanctioning
- A Pre-Screening process is required for all New Affiliate Applications. The Pre-Screening open period will be December 1st through February 1st of each year for the subsequent Fall soccer season.
- Applicants must complete and submit the New Member Sanctioning Application form and documents prior to the Pre-Screening open period. Applications which have been previously submitted for consideration prior to the adoption of this policy will continue to be processed.
- Applicants must disclose any information regarding the League/Club partnerships and/or franchising relationships within Cal South.
- If the fields identified by the new Affiliate overlap across “District Boundaries”, the adjacent District Commissioners must also approve the sanctioning.
- The President and Treasurer Officer positions cannot be held by individuals who are related (family) to one another.
- The Treasurer may not be simultaneously the Secretary, Executive Vice President, Vice President or President of Affiliate Club or League.
- Board of Directors of the League/Club cannot have a majority of their Board comprised of Board members, from a prior League/Clubs which have been:
-Suspended and had their non-profit status revoked by the IRS,
-Suspended or dissolved by the California Secretary of State
-Suspended by Cal South.
-Suspended by Risk Management and/or PAD.
Please allow up to 14 days for the application to be reviewed by the District Commissioner. Applications will be reviewed and processed as received.
Final Application Processing:
The final approval process starts as soon as all of the required information is received by Staff and continues until April 1st of each year. Applications received after April 1st will not be processed in the current calendar year.
Applicants must submit the following information as required on the Cal South Affiliate Sanctioning form:
Youth Competitive Leagues must meet the additional requirements listed below:
When applying for a combined Competitive, Signature League, Recreational league and/or TOP Soccer program, Rules of Play must be provided for each type of competition:
Municipalities having their own local government such as the Department Parks and Recreation and other government agencies applying for new or renewal membership can request a Cal South waiver of the requirements to have separate incorporation status with the State of California and the active IRS 501(c) 3 Tax Exemption status. The Organization shall comply with all other requirements. This is only valid when forming recreational soccer programs serving the immediate community.
A few additional considerations each applicant should be aware of to ensure the application process goes smoothly:
Avoid the following pitfalls: